Thursday, April 19, 2012

Skating in Hijab?

I was actually glancing through Yahoo! News when I noticed a catchy news title; Zahra Lari Ice Princess in the Hijab. As I read on, I became fascinated on her determination to become a professional ice figure. I do watch this sport and I grew up adoring the beautiful slim-figured skaters clad in ornate outfits. I grew up watching Katarina Witt and Michelle Kwan; both made known to me from their acting.





The question that you may ponder right now is “Who is Zahra Lari?” Well, she’s a 17-year-old Emirati and the first figure skater from the Gulf competing in such a prominent sport. In lieu of that, she’s the first to perform the artistic sport cladding in Hijab. According to her, it took her mother a great deal to convince the father. I do understand the father’s point of view though. Islam from the Gulf is well known for being pious and spiritual in regard of religion. Nonetheless, I also believe that you may do anything as you please as long as it does not jeopardize your Iman and it is not seditious. Be prudent in holding the family’s honor.  



Definitely a standing ovation from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment