Monday, April 02, 2012

Brand-conscious child..? Who is to blame?

While I was browsing through one of my favorites virtual newspaper, I stumbled upon a very interesting article; “Are you raising a brand-conscious child?” The article’s name sort of made me ponder; am I doing this to my daughter? Hhhmmmm..
Are you raising a brand-conscious child?
Psychologist from HELP University; Alex Lui expounded that parents lead by example. Parents are the role models to inculcate right values hence if we tend to exhibit high tendency with branded item, don’t expect your child to differ. Apparently if we unconsciously became materialistic by working late hours to make more money, children will think that money is more than everything.
However, if we chose to bond with our children by spending valuable time with them, we have the ability to instill positive self-concept virtues. Children would feel much more confident because they know that they are loved and cared-for. (No wonder when I was in school, I do have friends who are constantly business minded, stingy and brand-conscious. On the other hand, some were also so humble & down-to-earth even though they’re so rich or just mediocre earned-people; it’s all about self-value).
I kinda like this paragraph:-
 “If you still think that money is the most important thing, that your car reflects your status, you can't expect your child not to have the same values. That's the hardest part for parents. They want their children to change but they themselves find it very difficult to change.
If you are not sure your kids will still love you if you say no, obviously, there's something wrong with the relationship. Being able to say no and not being afraid that the kids will not love you or will hate you is something that parents need to develop.”
The psychologist advocates parents to spend more time with children. It is very important for parents to work in order to provide but when we decline the idea of bonding, children turn to friends as a source of human connection. Thus, the friends have more influences on them and that becomes the beginning of peer pressure; trying to impress friends.
*source*


To be frank, I’m clueless in raising my daughter. I want to instill many virtues and +ve values in her but these virtues must begin from me. I don’t earn much hence I don’t think it is wise to teach her in buying expensive clothes, toys and foods. Change must start with me. if I want her to like reading, I must exhibit the culture. If I want her to recite Al-Quran, I must recite with her. If I want her to pray 5x daily, I must ensure I complete my prayers everyday.
Now I know what it feels like to be in my parents shoes….  It’s tough! *sigh*

No comments:

Post a Comment